The firm was founded by W. Holmes Lilley, III who has a strong legal background in defending businesses and employers. He has served as General Counsel for public and private companies, providing him with a keen understanding of their legal needs. Mr. Lilley has a successful track record in managing complex legal and business issues for companies of all sizes. He is known for setting clear strategies and objectives and has a reputation for ethics, integrity, and professionalism. As an innovative and practical attorney, Mr. Lilley thrives in high-pressure situations and embraces ambiguity.
*licensed in North Carolina & Registered In-house Counsel in California
- Workers’ Compensation
- Employer Defense
Holmes Lilley began his career in 2009 with the firm of Karen McKeithen Schaede, PLLC where he represented businesses before the U.S. Department of Labor & the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights. He also advised business with regard to Complex business and health law transactions & litigation; well as Mergers and Acquisitions.
In 2012, Mr. Lilley joined Health Management Services, Inc (HMSY) as Associate General Counsel where he served as in-house legal counsel for industry leader in healthcare claims integrity: fraud, waste, abuse, errors and improper payment identification. Lilley represented HMSY and its clients in administrative hearings, prepared and negotiated complex contracts and drafted and reviewed company policies and procedures, and provided time sensitive legal research on healthcare compliance, Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse compliance and payment provisions. While at HMSY Mr. Lilley conducted over 3,500 hearings before Administrative Law Judges for the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Medicare Hearings and Appeals and was responsible for over $216MM in regulatory healthcare litigation and appeals.
Thereafter, in 2016 Mr. Lilley joined Chartwell Staffing Services, Inc. as General Counsel and Executive Vice-President in that position he served as member of executive management team, and oversaw all functions of the legal department for a national staffing company with annual revenue approaching $500 million. In addition to management of the Office of General Counsel, his core areas of focus include compliance, litigation and class-action litigation management, commercial transactions, employment and benefits, mergers and acquisitions, technology and data law, and, management of numerous outside counsel relationships as well as oversight of a national multi-member legal team.
- California Registered and Certified In-House Counsel
- Nevada Registered and Certified In-House Counsel (previous)
- Admitted to practice before all North Carolina State and Appellate Courts including the North Carolina Supreme Court
- Admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- Elon University School of Law, North Carolina
Juris Doctorate, with concentrations in Corporate Law and Litigation 2009
Nominee for Inscoe Scholarship Award
- The University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi Bachelor of Liberal Arts 2006
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of North Carolina
- Guilford Inn of Court
- Representative before Congressional Roundtable at the request of Congressmen Mike Thompson
- Key Speaker for The American Health Lawyers Association, annual meeting, Long-term Care and the Law
- Published HITECH ACT: Security Breach Notifications